ATLANTA, GA – Southeast BIO has narrowed the field from nearly 40 applicants to 10 semi-finalists in its sixth annual BIO/Plan Competition. Half of the semi-finalist projects are in the pharma/biotech space and the remaining technologies include medical devices and diagnostics. The technologies emerged from some of the region’s finest research institutions, including Clemson University, Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Moffitt Cancer Center, North Carolina State University, University of Florida, and Virginia Commonwealth University.
The semi-finalist projects are:
- Aurora Kinase Inhibitors as Anticancer Agents (FL)
- Serotonin Receptor Drugs (FL)
- Cell Therapy Delivery System (GA)
- Non-Steroidal Topical Compounds for Dermatology Applications (GA)
- Rapid Assay for RSV and Strep (GA)
- Repurposed Osteoinductive Molecules for Bone Healing (GA)
- Platform Technology for Bacterial Vaccines (NC)
- Antimicrobial Drug Delivery Devices (SC)
- Electrospun Surgical Mesh (VA)
- POC Ischemic Cardiac Biomarker Test (VA)
“Again this year, we were pleased with the pool of BIO/Plan applicants in terms of the quality of the underlying technologies and the potential for further development either as new commercial enterprises or within corporate partnerships,” says Frank Hunt, BIO/Plan 2012 Co-Chair and CEO of PNP Therapeutics. “The ten semi-finalists are giving us a look at some of the best opportunities in the region for new products that will have a significant impact on the health care of tomorrow.”
What’s next for the competitors?
- Each semi-finalist is now paired with a team of experienced professionals to begin the mentorship phase of the Competition.
- Mentoring teams include professionals from active venture funds or angel groups, biotech entrepreneurs and managers, and service providers with relevant start-up expertise.
- The teams interact directly with the semi-finalists over a 3-month period to focus on the strategic development of the business concept and commercial opportunity.
- Additional resources including development plan templates and guidelines, regulatory consultants, and presentation guidelines and examples help support the teams.
- This rigorous mentorship process is the cornerstone of the Competition and the semi-finalists walk away with an executable development strategy and associated written plan.
Following the mentoring process, each semi-finalist submits their written development plan for judging and four finalists are selected to present at the Fourteenth Annual SEBIO Investor Forum, October 31 – November 1, 2012, in Palm Beach, FL. The winner will be announced at the Closing Luncheon on November 1.